Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hard Drives and Internet

I'm on the road right now. In Joplin, MO and talking to people about the community rebuilding efforts since the tornado that came through the town last year. It's been a total consciousness shifting experience. One big thing that I wish we had more of was hard drive space and internet connection. I am shooting an easy 30GB every day. Maybe half of my footage is backed up in two places and half of it is sitting precariously on only one hard drive. Following conventional wisdom of file storage, I don't have any footage yet. This drive could fail at any time and I would be fucked. Not an unlikely scenario for a dude who is currently camping in a tent.

We've been tossing around the idea of picking up a wireless modem. We would like to either upload our archived footage to the cloud or shoot the footage directly to our editors using bit-torrent.
We've been spending a lot of time at Starbucks.  I've been making the mistake of asking about natural beef at sports bars.   I've been struggling to drink enough water.  And I think I've seen more variety of bugs on this trip than I have in my entire life.  More on that later.

Jesus is so prevalent in all corners of life here.  There was a bible reading from The Book Of Job at the high school.  A middle school principal shared with us her experience in witnessing the hand of god comforting people through these hard times.  Many people recount stories about white butterflies or angels in black suits literally guiding people to safety.  To these people, the personal relationship with Christ is not an abstract or intellectual thing.  Its real.  They feel it almost on a primal level.  More on that later.

No comments: